NBEA Executive Board meeting
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Members Present: Chas Bettendorf, Kirstin Perales, Christine Erickson, Connie Sim, Ursula Scheele, Juli Summer, Dona Yetter, Stacy Johnstone, Christine Bettendorf, Irv Geary
Membership: Juli reported that the NBEA has 165 full time teachers and 12 part-time teachers. There are two long term subs. There are 11 new members, 10 that are full time and one that is half time.
Insurance: Pam stated that members should soon be seeing that $200 earned from taking the health survey will be in the health savings accounts or applied to premiums. Randi is working on policy approach for Bridge to 65 funds. Members who are close to retirement discussed the severance package and have chosen to leave money in health savings. No vote was conducted this year as the vote can only happen “infrequently.”
Communications: Connie has made e-mail groups for home accounts. She is working on her new website and has e-mailed members information in regards to the website. Connie encourages members to look at the website.
Teacher Rights: Andrea stated that there is an issue with time required for a middle school staff member.
Negotiations: Andrea said bus drivers have settled their contract. Administrators and paras have tentative agreements. Teams or individuals interested in being on the next negotiation team should contact Kirstin or Chas.
Government Relations: Ursula has information on the website regarding local elections. She encourages members to learn about the candidates and listen to a podcast produced by the League of Women Voters.
Staff Development: Dona is investigating ways to equitably distributed staff development funds among the district’s buildings.
Treasurer: Stacy stated that we recently received a $75 donation from the Ladies American Legion Auxiliary to be contributed for scholarship purposes. Stacy said that she has filed a 990-N document with the IRS. The ending balance for the month of October was $4,463,.63. She made deposits of $7,556.80 for membership dues and $140 for reimbursement from EdMN for a summer seminar registration. She transferred $733.21 from the Crisis Money Market account to general checking to cover a twenty percent balance due on the Settlement Committee grant received last fall. Stacy stated the annual audit is in progress and is expected to be completed by December 1 this year. Stacy shared the attached treasurer information.
- Review of Co-Presidents/Superintendent meeting
- Extensive time filling out MDE survey on teacher evaluation.
- Meet and Confer. October 25th at 6:30 to 7:15. Cancelled due to moot issue (admin on q-Comp).
- Staff four-day week survey: A survey will be shared at the December workshop day. Some members of the executive board plan to preview the survey.
- Attendance committee will meet 11/13, 11/27, 12/4 from 5:30 to 6:30 or 7:00 p.m. Five teachers are on the committee of 22 including members from ECFE, SR, MS, HS, SpEd.
- There was a discussion about the lack of subs for staff during their absences. Randi reported that this does not appear to be a problem.
- Concerns were discussed about upcoming board evaluation of superintendent.
- Interest in local race (mayoral, city council). EdMN representative, Luke Fernholz, has requestd that NBEA help with endorsing some candidates through the St. Paul Labor Federation, St. Croix Valley Chapter. See Ursula if you are interested in helping with literature drops or other forms of campaigning.
- Kirstin shared some upcoming union opportunities in regards to negotiation courses that are available. Forms for this information are available from the building representatives.
NBEA Executive Board meeting dates: 11/28, 12/19, 1/23, 2/28, 3/20, 4/24, 5/29. These meetings will take place at the Sunrise Media Center beginning at 4:35 pm.
Christine Bettendorf, Secretary
Treasurer's Report link: